About 25 years ago, on a routine eye exam, my doctor discovered that I had suffered a retinal detachment. A detached retina is scary ..there is no doubt about. You can lose your sight if its not corrected. He immediately scheduled an appointment with a retinal surgeon who immediately scheduled surgery which was successful. I never regained the marginal vision I lost but the repair worked and my vision was no worse.
Fast forward about 24 years. I noticed that the right was sensitive to light, and allergies. It tears and the slightest provocation and a milky white depost seeped from the eye and every opportunity. Very unattractive. My eye doctor referred me to another retinal surgeon and no surprise, eventually recommended surgery to correct the problem. I could get technical on this but why bother.
So I had the surgery. I wish it was that simple. It wasn't. I stalled, he stalled . I was afraid, he was busy and I didn't push him. but eventually it became apparent to both of us that it had to be done.
An aside. I am what is known as a "hard stick". whenever I have to have a blood test it usually involves several stabbings with no results. I've had sadists who keep sticking and sometimes "jiggle" the needle around. I've had gentle souls who repeatedly say I'm sorry as they jab and jab and jab unsuccessfully. I've had needles in my hands, elbows, groin and neck. I am a hard stick. So I was not looking forward to surgery. Of course, the alternative, being wide awake while someone works on your eye wasn't an alternative. Luckily, the anestheoligist was a pro. Found the vein on the first try.
Back to surgery. They wheel me in and start the surgery. Now for first 20 minutes or so, you are fast asleep while they cut and paste or whatever. However, for the end of the surgery, you are awake. You don't feel anything or really see anything. But your eyes are open and you think you're aware. But I don't know what drug they gave me, but I started talking and talking and talking. I was having a full conversation with the doctor until he stopped whatever he was doing, gently took my hand and said Carolyn, please shut up. You're distracting me.
So that happened.
PS. The eye is healing nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment